History of Ferrara Spring Works
From Horse and Buggy to Commercial Truck suspension we have seen a lot of changes in 100 years.
Ferrara Spring Works is proud of its heritage dating back to 1912. We have taken pride in offering the highest quality parts and services through four generations.
Frank L. Ferrara, who with his father, uncle and grandfather comprised the Ferraras of Springfield, MA., the family that has built Ferrara Spring Works into one of the largest independent firms in the New England truck and automotive suspension industry.
Not unlike many other success stories Frank Ferrara & Sons Spring Works began humbly on September 10, 1912 when Frank P. Ferrara opened a small blacksmith shop for repair of steel wagon wheels and seat springs at 740 Worthington St. As model T’s and motorized wagons began to appear on the streets, Frank adapted to forging spring replacements for the vehicles.
Working long and hard hours, Frank P. Ferrara welcomed the extra hands of his two young sons, Louis and Fred. Through the focused efforts of the three Ferraras, the business began to grow. In 1935 when Frank passed away suddenly, the two brothers, having the experience they required, reigned over the family business. They soon envisioned opportunities for expansion and acted upon them, first into machining services, then into part sales.
In 1947 Louis’ son Frank L. Ferrara began helping out in the spring shop during his high school summer vacations. In 1954, after graduating school and serving two years in the army, Frank returned to the family business. Over the next 29 years Frank was instrumental in the continual expansion in all areas of the business. On May 23, 1983, it was industriousness and purpose that led Frank, with his wife Ann, to purchase the spring business from other family members. From that day on, the business became known as Frank L. Ferrara Spring Works Inc. Ten years later, 1993 they relocated to 3 Amboy Court, Springfield, just minutes away from its’ original location.
In 2007 Frank and Ann’s daughter Diane (Ferrara) Valentino began working in the office. The following year Frank appointed her president of the company where she now oversees the day to day operation and proudly represents the fourth generation of Ferraras to successfully run the family business.
Though the anvils and horseshoes have faded into the past, the family has continued the heritage and expanded the company into the prosperous business that it is today serving Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont and New Hampshire. Our family is devoted to retain the Ferrara family tradition of quality service to our customers after 100 years in business.